Monday, May 25, 2009

When do you know...

Living and working back in Hawaii has left me satisfied, yet I am still hungry for something more. It has been great working back at Roy's, returning to where I first began my career. I am allowed complete freedom with the menu, which in turn has allowed me to blossom as a chef, but I get bored easily. I always feel like there's something more exciting, something I haven't learned elsewhere. I have done many tastings for prominent people in the local food community and have had a great deal of success. This is the first time I have been home in a long time. It still feels as though I am here on an extended vacation and I will soon return to New York or San Francisco. Yet, I have no plan. I have no direction for the first time in my life. San Francisco will always be in my heart, but Europe is validation as New York was the proving ground for any serious cook. 
I feel like I have just begun to gain confidence in my abilities. I am finally trusting my training and feel like I can offer Hawaii something new and exciting. But, when do you know when your ready. When is the time right to go out on your own? Selfishly, I may never feel like my resume and training will ever be good enough to justify my own place. I guess we'll see. 

On another note. A few weeks ago I had a great meal at Town Restaurant. I always hear great things about the place, so I decided to return after my mediocre first experience. The menu was very approachable and simple. It reminded me of a simple, yet great San Francisco restaurant. Great, local- sustainable produce coupled with restraint and good execution. It was one of the better meals I have had in Hawaii in a long time. So please support Chef Kenney. His respect for cuisine can be tasted through his food.
I am often asked why I don't apply to be on the show "Top Chef". It's a wildly popular and exciting show that I am a fan of. The first season was filmed in San Francisco. The restaurant I used to work in was approached to be the featured restaurant in the first episode and my chef the featured judge. I even remember when the producers came in to watch a kitchen service. It was a fun night because I know they were impressed. Because I worked in a hotel, an agreement was not reached. The producers even asked us to apply for the show. Would I ever apply to be on the "Top Chef"? It's a great prize, you gain publicity and maybe even some fame, but your left with that stigma. The stigma of being on a reality tv cooking show. Am I too good for that? No way, I even attended culinary school with many of the contestants. They are good people and good cooks, but I would rather garner attention for my cooking and not the way I played a game. I would rather have a restaurant that was respected for the experience it provided. Plus, I don't think I am pretty enough to be on T.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment