Monday, March 30, 2009

TWO

1). Sea Urchin/ Golden Osetra Caviar/ Hawaiian Vanilla

This is a great combination. I first experienced this working with Chef Ron Siegel. He makes a panna cotta out of Santa Barbara Sea Urchin and garnishes with lobster and avocado, finished with vanilla oil. He serves this as an amuse. Lucky guests huh? I have decided  to serve a lighter preparation. The sea urchin takes well to acid, so I will use ponzu and lime to heighten the ocean essence. The sea urchin will be seasoned with caviar and finished with vanilla. 

2). Hearts of Palm- 2 preparations

The hearts of palm from the Big Island is the best you can get. Why not showcase it in a salad. I will do two preparations with different garnishes. 

3). Toro- 2 preparations
Seared/ Cucumber Ribbons/ Goma Vinaigrette
Sashimi noodles/ Lemongrass/ Avocado

Who doesn't love toro? I have decided to use asian flavors for both preparation, but am showing the difference between raw and cooked. 

4). Egg
Slow Poached/ Hollandaise Mousseline/ Pork Belly
Soft Scramble/ Truffle Butter/ Sweetbreads

I love using eggs as a course in a tasting. They are not only delicious but also take well to many flavors. I have made this  bacon and eggs dish many times. It relies on the technique of "sous vide". I cure the pork belly for 1 day and then cook it under sous vide for 24 hours.  It comes out extremely tender and retains the beautiful pink color. The pork belly is then crisped and sliced.  The Egg is also cooked using the immersion circulator. It is cooked at a low temperature for two hours. It's a dream dish, because I really don't do anything. The dish is finished with a hollandaise. Tres classique! I put the hollandaise in a whip cream canister for a lighter and better mouthfeel. 

5). Abalone
"Grenobloise"
Pigs Feet/ lentils/ Sweet Garlic

The abalone comes from the Big Island. It's extremely tender , so I simply cook it in brown butter and aromatics. I love the combination of seafood with pork. I think anything with pig's feet is going to be very tasty. I will serve it with lentils seasoned with sherry vinegar and a sweet garlic puree. 

6). Kona Hirame

A few chefs from my restaurant took a tour of True World CO. We were able to view all the Japanese fish and seafood available. We used to use True World when I worked at Per Se, so I know the quality is great. I was inspired by the Hirame from the Big Island. I probably will roast it whole and keep it simple. 


7). Pasta
Agnolotti/ Peas/ Mint/ Ricotta/ Scallions

This is classic Thomas Keller. The famous agnolotti. I love making pasta so this dish celebrates the spring season. 

8). Foie Gras

Torchon/ maple syrup/ serrano ham/ rocket
Shaved/ pickled grapes/ candied peanuts

When I was younger, I used to order seared foie gras in every restaurant. I don't know if my taste have changed but I now prefer cold preparations. I love the technique of making torchon. I think it shows attention to detail and patience. The better you clean the foie gras lobes and the longer it hangs, the better the flavor and the cleaner the appearance.

9). "Black Truffle Explosion"

Because this tasting is for Hank, I will attempt to make my version of this famous dish by Chef Grant Achatz from Trio and now Alinea. 

10). Shortrib of Beef
48 hours/ Swiss chard/ Fried Bordelaise

The shortribs are cooked sous vide for 48 hours. It will be served simply with braised swiss chard and Sauce Bordelaise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment